H-D unwraps rally point and unifies all activities in Sturgis
Milwaukee, Wis., July 16—From a chain cutting-rally kickoff to the last demo ride, sparks will fly as Harley-Davidson takes over the city of Sturgis to kick off the 75th Sturgis Motorcycle Rally with a new line-up of activities. The start of one of the biggest rallies in U.S. history will be commemorated at a chain-cutting of the new Harley-Davidson Rally Point and brings to life the first phase of the new 75-year relationship between Harley-Davidson and the city of Sturgis making Harley-Davidson the official motorcycle of the rally.
For 2015, Harley-Davidson is uniting all Harley-Davidson and H.O.G. activities at three new locations: the Rally Point, the Sturgis Community Center and Sturgis City Park—providing rally-goers additional opportunities to make lasting memories during the week-long event.
“Riders rarely have the same Sturgis experience twice, but the 75th rally will be a completely new one for everyone who rides through the Black Hills on their way to Sturgis,” said Kris Schoonover, Manager of Event Strategy and Execution for Harley-Davidson. “We are expanding our presence in Sturgis by creating multiple locations for customers to experience the variety of activities Harley-Davidson has to offer.”
Grand Opening: The Harley-Davidson Rally Point
At the corner of Main Street and Harley-Davidson Way, the Rally Point is the new year-round home for motorcyclists to gather. Don’t miss the grand opening on July 31 at noon with ceremonial chain-cutting, music and more.
- There will be daily concerts and shows, a bike raffle for the Muscular Dystrophy Association and an official photo area for riders with their motorcycles to have a picture snapped with the iconic STURGIS sign as the backdrop.
- Women and Riding: Help us celebrate 100 years of strong and confident women riders by joining Karen Davidson, H-D General Merchandise Creative Director, and photographer, Lana MacNaughton, for a gathering to discuss women in motorcycling, Monday, Aug. 3 at 1 p.m. They will talk about why they ride, collect ideas for 2016 women’s activities and give a sneak preview of Fall fashion.
- UFC fighters will be onsite signing autographs and taking pictures—Mike Chiesa on Tuesday, Aug. 4 and Ricardo Lamas on Friday, Aug. 7.
All-New Venue: Sturgis City Park
One of the newest Sturgis event locations—Sturgis City Park—provides a brand new experience in 2015. Harley-Davidson will host a display full of radical custom Harleys, daily giveaways and a custom, vintage 1951 Truck and Trailer. Check out the event schedule for a full line-up of attractions.
Central Hub: Sturgis Community Center at Fourth and Lazelle Streets
Freedom, attitude and V-Twin engines invade the Sturgis Community Center where the bulk of Harley-Davidson activities will now be housed. Both inside and outside the Community Center, riders will see and experience the newest motorcycle customizations, demonstrations of the latest MotorClothes, and experience the power of the 2015 line-up with a demo ride. This is also where official Willie G. and H.O.G. merchandise can be purchased, and it will be the only H.O.G. pin stop at the rally. All activities are Aug. 1–8 from 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
- Free Motorcycle Demo Rides: The full 2015 motorcycle line-up and demo ride experience includes models such as the Road Glide®, Ultra Limited Low, Street® 500 and 750, Freewheeler™ and a selection of customized models with H-D Genuine Motor Accessories®. Staging for demo rides takes place in the parking lot behind the Community Center. A selection of helmets and jackets will also be available for demo rides.
- Parts & Accessories: The interactive area includes everything needed to turn any Harley-Davidson motorcycle into a one-of-a-kind custom. No matter the riding style or body type, experts are on hand to help adjust any motorcycle for maximum comfort, control, style and confidence.
- Project LiveWire™ Experience Tour: Harley-Davidson embodies the spirit of American Reinvention with Project LiveWire—the first electric Harley-Davidson motorcycle. Making an appearance in Sturgis, Project LiveWire brings innovation to the street to get feedback from customers on what they expect from an electric motorcycle that is authentic Harley-Davidson. The Project LiveWire JUMPSTART will be available for a simulated riding experience.
- Gear: Customization is not just for motorcycles, and Harley-Davidson is offering t-shirt customization at this year’s rally. There are 11 different designs for a one-of-a-kind shirt printed on the spot. The graphics were carefully selected from the Harley-Davidson library and have retro-inspired designs with one that is completely customizable. Everyone is encouraged to come early since there are limited quantities each day. Additionally, Black Hills Harley-Davidson will have a variety of MotorClothes available for purchase. And don’t miss the chance to win a $450 shopping spree with Karen Davidson or Lana MacNaughton. There are two chances to win, Monday, Aug. 3 at 1:50 p.m. at the Rally Point or Saturday, Aug. 8 at 11 a.m. at the Sturgis Community Center. The winner must be present to win, and you will have 3 hours of shopping time with Karen Davidson (Aug. 3) or Lana MacNaughton (Aug. 8) at Black Hills H-D.
- Harleywood Bikes: Get up close and personal with customized bikes from the movies Captain America and Avengers: Age of Ultron and from FX’s Sons of Anarchy TV show. Located on a red carpet, this experience provides a unique opportunity to take a picture while sitting on product that starred in these iconic entertainment properties.
- Harley-Davidson Museum: The Museum brings Harley-Davidson history and heritage to Sturgis with a series of events throughout the week: daily archives flicks, Untold Stories programs on custom builder Sugar Bear and the H-D Flat Track Racing Wrecking Crew, as well as pinstriping demonstrations with Harley-Davidson Chief Stylist, Ray Drea, and Vehicle Collections Specialist, Bill Rodencal. All events are free and open to the public. A full schedule can be found at www.h-d.com/sturgis.
- Weber Mobile Grill Academy: Stop by the Weber Mobile Grill Academy to talk to experts about all things grilling and see an array of gas, charcoal and electric grills as well as accessories. Be sure to check out the Big Burger Battle Monday, Aug. 3 at 1 p.m. where three finalists will compete for the best burger recipe. Hands-on-grilling classes are also available to H.O.G. members. Check out the H-D Sturgis Event App for details to sign-up.
- Other activities at the Community Center include custom Miller High Life bandanas, motorcycle stunt shows featuring Unknown Industries and daily police skill shows. Miller High Life and Ole Smoky Moonshine products will also be available throughout the week.
Black Hills Half-Mile Harley-Davidson GNC1 presented by Vance & Hines Flat Track
Lovers of motorcycles and speed alike shouldn’t miss the fastest entertainment in the area Tuesday night, Aug. 4. A celebration of speed and fierce flat track racing action fires up at the Half-Mile oval of Black Hills Speedway. Come watch the H-D Factory Flat Track Wrecking Crew, Brad Baker, Jared Mees and Kenny Coolbeth, fiercely battle handlebar to handlebar in the corners.
Whether twisting throttles towards South Dakota or dreaming of a first visit to Sturgis, Harley-Davidson social media is serving exciting Sturgis action all rally long—starting with a full-throttle 75-hour social media blitz beginning July 28. See breathtaking images and stories from riders across the country and daily updates. Tune in to #Sturgis posts @HarleyDavidson on Twitter & Instagram, or on Facebook.
For more information about Harley-Davidson 75th Sturgis Motorcycle Rally events and to get the official H-D Event Sturgis App, visit www.h-d.com/sturgis.