MILWAUKEE, MARCH 6—Harley-Davidson has introduced a new member to the Sportster lineup—the all-new SuperLow 1200T. Introduced as a mid-year 2014 model along with the return of the Dyna Low Rider, the SuperLow 1200T is a Sportster equipped with “essential touring features,” according to The Motor Company. Its ergonomics are calibrated to offer riders from 5’ 1” to 5’ 7” in height an easy reach to the ground, handlebar and foot controls. The SuperLow 1200T also weighs 118 pounds less than the lightest Harley-Davidson Big Twin touring motorcycle.
“The SuperLow 1200T is a new motorcycle driven by the voice of our customers, and by customer action,” said Jennifer Gersch, Harley-Davidson product planning manager. “Many riders seeking an entry point to the touring experience have been putting together a bike like this on their own. We’ve added ergonomic adjustments and a selection of touring accessories to a motorcycle platform that is already popular with our customers. They can tour on a great-looking motorcycle that offers performance and inspires confidence, while experiencing those life-defining moments that can only be encountered on the open road.”
Touring features of the SuperLow 1200T include locking saddlebags and a detachable windshield. The saddlebag mounting hardware incorporates quick-detachable docking points to make it possible to easily add an accessory rack or backrest. The rear shock absorbers offer easy pre-load adjustment to accommodate the weight of luggage and a passenger on the two-up Reduced Reach touring seat. Mini footboards provide added comfort for the rider and passenger, and the rider foot position is three inches forward from the SuperLow 883 model to make it easier to place feet flat on the ground and to reach the side stand.
Key SuperLow 1200T Features
- An air-cooled Evolution 1200cc V-Twin engine with Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI), rated at 71 ft. lbs. peak torque at 3500 rpm, has a broad powerband for easy get-away from a stop and smooth power out of corners. The powertrain is finished in black powder coat with chrome-plated covers.
- Reduced Reach two-up touring seat moves the rider forward and features a narrow nose for an easy reach to the ground. Seat height is 26.1 inches.
- Rear suspension features a right-side twin tube and a left-side dial adjustable emulsion shock with an easy-to-reach dial that enables a broad range of pre-load adjustment without removing the saddlebags or using tools.
- Front suspension is tuned to accommodate touring and passenger payloads while providing a comfortable ride.
- Detachable 14-inch clear polycarbonate windshield can be adjusted on the forks to match rider height.
- Optimized rider foot location allows easy reach to the ground and to the side stand.
- Mini footboards provide support to the rider for comfort on long rides.
- Black and silver, split five-spoke aluminum wheels with Michelin Scorcher 11T touring tires that are engineered for a touring payload.
- Front turn signals are located on the lower triple tree to increase handlebar adjustment range.
- Lockable saddlebags are covered in durable black vinyl with chrome badges.
- Factory-installed rear docking hardware facilitates installation of an optional luggage rack and sissy bar with backrest.
- Premium glass-filled chrome cloisonné tank badge.
- Chrome-plated headlamp visor, turn signal housings and instrument housing.
- Color choices include: Vivid Black, Candy Orange, and two-tone Birch White/Midnight Pearl.